Monday, March 2, 2009

Good News!

I got a call this morning from our agency wanting us to send our dossier in now instead of waiting for our I171-h to get here, like we were originally supposed to do. There are 2 families ahead of us, but they are requesting girls. There are 3 birth mothers in the program who will all be delivering pretty soon and if a baby boy is born, we jump ahead in line. How exciting is that? I'm running around like a crazy lady getting all the copies of the dossier gathered up to send out today. I am over-the-moon-excited!

Just the other night, my wonderful boyfriend took me out on a date. He was trying to be super-romantic, so he took me to Babies R Us (Seriously- I thought it was very romantic. He doesn't like shopping, especially if I'm obsessing over baby things, so he totally did it just to make me happy, and even acted interested in looking at stuff).

We'd been in the store for quite a while, looking around at all the different things we're going to need. Somewhere around the stroller aisle, Darrell stopped dead in his tracks. I turned around to look at him and he's got this look on his face that I can't quite identify.

Then, all calm and quiet-like, he says, "We're having a baaay-beeee." It was so funny the way he said it. That weird look on his face was one of shock and sudden realization.

I said, "You just now figured that out, did ya?" Lol. He's so cute. He'd better adjust to the news pretty soon, I guess- since it looks like it's going to happen sooner rather than later. Oh my goodness! I have to say that again... Sooner.Rather.Than.Later. I can't believe it's really happening.

That's how it is with adoption, isn't it? You get so accustomed to delays and hassles and disappointments, that you just expect they will always be there- somewhere along the line, you forget there really will be a child at the end of all this crap you've gone through.

Back to the topic of names really quick, before I go back to scurrying around like a loon... Some of you asked me to tell you what my favorite girls' name is- the one my whole family hates and mocks me for. Do you think I'm nuts? Why would I open myself up to more ridicule? From all 3 of my readers- ha!

No, you guys are always so nice to me, and I know you wouldn't say anything (too) awfully mean, but still... I'm embarrassed to tell. So, I'll drop you a few breadcrumbs and let you figure it out. If you do, good for you- but please don't make fun of me, at least don't be too mean about it. Remember, I get plenty of crud over this at home! It's as if I suggested we name our child "Excrement," or something. If you don't figure it out- sorry, darlin,' I guess you're out of luck.

The most horrible name in the universe (according to my family, at least) has the following things in common:

A pope, a princess, a citrus fruit, a song, a series of children's books, and Winston Churchill.

It's old-fashioned, but kinda funky, nerdy, quirky and cool all at the same time (just like me- except for the cool part)- and certainly not suffering from overuse. It will not spark a new cheerleader naming trend anytime soon. It has not cracked the top 1000 in popularity since the 1950's. I'd be willing to bet you don't know someone with this name. Unless it's a dead aunt, or something. That's all I'm going to tell you, other than I adore the name, even if I'm the only one- and oh how I wish, I wish, I wish I could use it.

11 comments:

Chandra said...

Wow that's so exciting! Surely out of 3 one will be a boy. Can't wait to hear THE news some time soon.

Anonymous said...

Oh, I think I've got it figured out, but I'll email you to see so I don't out you on your own blog (or, you know, make a total fool of myself when all your Catholic readers flame me with, "There's never been a Pope by that name, you idiot!" comments.

Tracy said...

wonderful news! I'm not good at riddles so you'll have to surpise me.

Rachel said...

great news!!! Thanks for the riddle - I think I figured it out. There are worse names out there, for sure. :)

whatever name you pick out will be awesome!!

Laura L. said...

Wow, that's great news that things are happening on the adoption front. That's exciting!

Hooray for a date night!!

I believe I figured out the name too. I think it's a cute name and I agree with the above poster, there are worse names.

Unknown said...

Hah... I got the name. It wouldn't be one of my top 100 choices, but I could also thing of 100 more that would be behind it... so no, it is not the worst in the world. But I can see them walking to school and people singing the song to taunt them.

LaLa said...

YAY!!! So happy for you ...can't wait for your news : )

Anonymous said...

Woo-hoo. This is exciting news. I'm really terrible at figuring out riddles (mostly b/c I don't really even try!) So unless you're going to name your daughter "Navel" (that's the first citrus fruit I thought of) you'll just have to tell me. If it's a fruit that starts with a C, then I love that name, too!!

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh, you are getting so close! So if there's 3 babies on the way and you are #3, there actually is a pretty good chance you could have a girl, no?
I clearly stink at riddles because I haven't a clue what the name is. Is there a way you could "modernize" it or alter it just a wee bit so it's not so teasable but still the name you love?

M. said...

Yes, Christina, there is a chance we'll get a girl (my daughters are counting on it, and beseeching the Lord on a daily basis- lol!) but my gut still tells me it's a boy. Of course, that's the same gut that says it's a good idea to eat brownies or cookies for breakfast every day, so who knows?

Yes, Char, it is a fruit that starts with a C.

Kelly said...

I know the name and I don't hate it, but it is a quite surprising to me that it is your #1 choice. I am just so glad that I at least know it now.

YEAH on moving along so quickly all of the sudden. That is great!