Thursday, March 12, 2009

A Must Read

Christina has written a post over at VVAI, titled "Not in My Adoption" ...What Price Ignorance? that I hope you will all take time to read. I can hear a few excuses starting right now. You don't have time... It only takes a minute. You didn't adopt from Vietnam... So?

I don't care if you didn't adopt from Vietnam, or if your adoption is completed or any other reason you can come up with to decide that this doesn't "apply to you." Corruption in adoption continues to exist because we all tell ourselves it doesn't apply to us... and we do nothing. We say nothing. We satisfy ourselves by saying "Not in my adoption."

I apologize for getting a little preachy here, but if you are a Christian, you should care about this. If you are a parent, you should care. If you claim to be a socially conscious person with concerns about what's going on in the world around you, you should care. Have I left anyone out? If so, whoever you are, you should care. Especially, if you are involved in any way in the adoption community- If you love a child who has been adopted, if you love someone who wants to adopt, even if you are just beginning to consider adoption as a possibility someday... You should most definitely care. This post is a must read.

Chris, you did an excellent job on this, by the way. Thank you for the time and effort you put into this.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks Michelle. I'm a little surprised that the post hasn't generated much discussion yet, but I hope it will. Even though VN is shut down for now, we need to talk about these things because just like you say, they affect everyone.

Rebecca said...

AMEN!!!!!