Tuesday, January 15, 2008

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, MICHAEL!!

Today is Mike's 16th birthday. And because I serve a good and merciful God, the Driver's License Bureau is closed today. We have a couple more anxiety-free days of safety before he becomes an official driver. He's had his learner's permit since he turned 14, but I'll still be sure to issue a warning when he gets his license so you can keep your animals and small children off the sidewalks.
Poor Mike. I like to give him a hard time, but he's very good-natured and easy going about it. He's really a great kid; one I'm proud to know, and I love him dearly. Although he can sometimes display symptoms of the dreaded Lifeisallaboutme disease that infects 99.99% of teenagers, his true nature is a very thoughtful and kind one.

One quick story... When Mike was about 4, we were taking a long trip in the car. All was quiet in the back seat, until I heard a loud, very cheerful voice say, "You're selfish, Mommy!" I turned around to see Mike looking back at me, with the sweetest, most sincere little smile on his face. It was obvious he was trying to say something kind and loving to his mama, and honestly had no idea he was misusing the word. He was beaming at me, proudly waiting for my response, and expecting me to be happy about it. I was. I said, "Thank you, baby. That's so nice of you. You're selfish, too." He was thrilled. He reached out trying to hold my hand. It was one of those very sweet moments when you wish you could just freeze them and make them stay like that forever. I waited a long time to set him straight, because I just didn't have the heart to burst his little bubble. Over the years, "You're selfish" became one of our family's favorite sayings; a term of endearment of sorts, along the same lines as "I love you."

So, Mike... Can you guess what I'd like to say to you today?


Here's a few pictures of his younger years. He wasn't crazy about any of the more recent pictures I wanted to post, so I'll cut him a break... this time, and leave them out. I'll post one later of him behind the wheel on "License Day." I'm sure that will meet with his approval.


Mike was such a chubby baby, his neck disappeared for over a year.
My Little Chuck NorrisMike got into a large can of Ovaltine for a "nack" (snack). You wouldn't believe how many little chocolate hand and footprints I had to clean off my floors and cabinets. They were everywhere.
Showing his muscles
Rock on, Mike.

Happy birthday, Sweetie! I love you very much.

You're one of the most selfish people I know!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Mike! You are one of a kind, and I mean that in the most loving way!