Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Tag!

Christina (Mrs. Broccoli Guy) tagged me for the Book Meme.
The rules:
1. Pick up the nearest book of at least 123 pages.
2. Open the book to page 123.
3. Find the 5th sentence.
4. Post the next 3 sentences.
5. Tag 5 more people.

I have several books going right now. The one on the top of the stack is "God at Your Wits' End," by Marilyn Meberg, which is not the one I'm supposed to be reading right now for a book club I joined. I love her sense of humor and her open, honest way of writing and speaking. If you ever have an opportunity to attend a Women of Faith Conference when she's speaking, you should go. OK, I just lied to you. I'm talking about a Christian author, and I just told a lie. That's probably not a good thing. I didn't lie about Marilyn Meberg. She's awesome. The book on the top of the stack is really "The Pickwick Papers," by Chuck Dickens (which is also not this month's book for my book club- ha!), but I thought it would sound all uppity and snooty to use a Dickens book, so I picked the one right under it. I'm not all uppity and snooty. You guys know that, right? I also have Allure magazine sitting by my bathtub, which cancels out any intellectual advancements I may achieve through good literary choices, so...

Here we go:
When I was desperate in my prayers for Joani, I behaved like a homeless person, one who had no place to go. It's as if I stayed on a park bench and simply gritted my teeth for faith and healing for my baby. Since God is wherever I am, He shared the park bench with me, but there was a better place to be.

To understand the context a little... Joani is the author's daughter, who was born with spina bifida and died after only 15 days. She's speaking here about the process of finding our home in God, even (or especially) during difficult times. She explains, "There is a homelessness of the self we impose upon ourselves when we don't realize it is God who is our home."

Good book. Read it.

I'm going to tag: Anne, Rebecca (sorry, Rebecca, I'm tagging you twice in a row), Alice, Tina, and Sassy Chic. You're it! If you've already been tagged, skip it.

No comments: