Thursday, November 15, 2007

Great Articles At Second Generation

I have another good link for you. When I have nothing interesting to say, I figure I might as well redirect you to someone who does. If you haven't visited the "Second Generation" blog, check it out soon. A recent post links to 3 articles, written by adoptees. They are well worth the time to read. See them here: http://secondgenadoption.wordpress.com/2007/11/14/from-other-adoptees/ I think it's so important as APs to listen and learn from adoptees (and that's not because I am one).

I realize that as a plain old boring Caucasian, adopted by Caucasians, and brought up 30 minutes away from my place of birth, I will never completely relate to the transcultural/transracial/international adoption experience. And my perspective may be discounted as irrelevant to PAPs and APs adopting internationally. But, what really struck me as I read these was that my feelings, growing up adopted, were similar in many ways to what was expressed in these articles, even though the specific circumstances and experiences differed greatly. I got the feeling that, from the POV of the authors, they see their thoughts, feelings, and emotional struggles as being unique to a Korean adoptee's experience (or Chinese, Vietnamese, etc.), whereas I see it as possibly being a common part of an adoptee's experience, regardless of race, ethnicity, or culture. The underlying feelings are the same. Of course every adoptee's experiences are unique and I'm not trying to cram us all into the same box. I'm just saying that I was white (and still am, incidentally-lol) with white parents, surrounded by white people, and still felt in many ways that I didn't fit. I didn't belong here, there (where ever "there" was), or anywhere. It didn't take a difference in facial features or birth country to remind me that I was different. I just WAS. I have so much to learn from internationally adopted adults that will help me parent my children, but if I could tell them anything, it would be this... We're not as different as you might think. Just tossing it out there. Go read the articles. They're good.

No comments: