Friday, June 6, 2008

Q: What is the best way...

to end a day that began with very little sleep, and waking up at 5:00 A.M. to go to the hospital for your kid's surgery????


A: With another tornado warning and trip to the urine-scented church basement/storm shelter, of course!!

How crazy of you not to know I was going to say that. Are you seeing a pattern here? This is one pattern I'm definitely ready to break! It's nuts! Last night's storm seemed to come out of nowhere, and didn't do any damage around here. I think some towns up north of us got the worst of it.

Once again, Michael was gone with a friend. Alex was just getting ready to walk out the door to hang out with his "*(girl)friend*," and wasn't very happy to change his plans and go to the shelter with us. Yeah, sorry 'bout that whole being concerned for your safety thing, buddy. What mean, horrible parents we are.

*(He doesn't officially call her what she really is, because she's older than he is, and he knows we are nervous about it, so he thinks it will be easier for us to swallow their constant togetherness if it is called "just friends." We are parents after all, which of course means we're stupid, so we'll swallow whatever a teenager- oh, excuse me, I meant 18 yr. old adult- tells us. Detecting a slight attitude? Hmmm. But that is a whole other post- one that the mommy is not ready to write.)*

We spent another hour up there this time. As soon as we got home, I heard the weather lady on TV say, "Another nervous night for Four-Staters..." Gee, ya think? NERVOUS? Really? I've developed a facial tic and a stutter, and my fingernails are now nothing but bloody stumps, but I don't know what would make you think I'm nervous.

Darrell saw me scrounging around in the cabinet late last night, and knew just what I needed to calm my nerves. Chocolate. He went up to Sonic to get me a hot fudge sundae. Good man. I know, I know. I'm supposed to be eating better and losing weight. But with this recent weather, I am either ready to succumb to my choco-holism, or I will take up alcoholism. One way or the other, this poor little fat girl needs to relax.

By the way, I know you're probably so thrilled to be getting another weather story from me. You're longing for the days of hearing about my sweaty dressing room disasters, aren't you? I bet you never thought that would happen. I promise the next post will be a completely new and different subject, not storm-related at all. No, sir.

The next post will chronicle every step of the storm shelter's installation, in all it's photographic glory, and you guys know what a stellar shutter bug I am! That's one you won't want to miss, I'm sure. The shelter is being put in AS WE SPEAK (I'm so excited!!). See, I told you. Completely new and different subject.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh, running for shelter every night to a stinky church basement sounds like very little fun. Better than being swept up in a tornado... but not as good as hanging in your own personal shelter! Glad that's going in today!!
Oh and thanks for the offer to help us get one of those babies... we actually have a basement in the new house, so I think we won't need one. (At least, I'm hoping a basement is shelter enough for a tornado... if not, maybe I should just stay here in the land of earthquakes and slugs??)