Monday, March 7, 2011

The feeling has passed...

Do any of you guys like The Str*okes (and right now, my mother and both of my blog buddies named Elaine are saying, "What are The Str*okes?")? These are The Str*okes:

They're a band (which I'm guessing you could have gathered on your own). I think I like them because they remind me (a little) of some of the music I was listening to in the 80's, when I was young (you know... way back before cell phones, pc's and fire)- it's rock with a little new wave-ish thing going on, some punk, and a little bit of awesome, all mixed together (and before my mom asks me, "Why were you typing all those little stars in the middle of your words?" ...Mom, it's because I don't want some stoner kid, who is Googling for this band, to wind up at my blog by accident and then leave me weird and/or filth-riddled comments). 

Anyhoooo...  I'm sure you couldn't care less about my taste in music and it's really not the point of this post, anyway.

This...
little lamby is the point of this post.  He's their singer, Julian (Jules).  He may, just possibly, have a tiny bit to do with why I like The Str*okes, if we're really telling the truth.  And don't I ususally tell a little more truth than you wanted to hear?  Why, yes.  Yes, I do. 

This little boy could recite transcripts from traffic court to music and I would listen (oh, don't be so shocked that fat, Christian, 44 y. o. moms/housewives still look at rockstars.  We do.  And we look at ones a lot younger than this kid... ;D... We are also a teensy bit fond of the abs on teenage werewolves, but that's a post for another day...  We take a quick peek.  We say, "Praise God from whom all blessings flow." And we go on with our fascinating lives of laundry, snot wiping and grocery shopping, feeling completely content and fulfilled... : /...). 

I think he's pretty cute in that Bad Boy, Rocker, "I'm-going-to-'borrow'-$500-from-your-purse-while-you're-not-looking, to-buy-drugs-while-I'm-out-with-your-best-friend, then-break-up-with-you-right-after-I-use-your-place-to-take-a-shower-cuz-I-really-need-one" kind of way. You may not see the same thing I see (my daughter doesn't. She thinks he's icky.  She had the nerve to ask, "What is wrong with you, Mama?"  Oh, sweetie...  Many things.  So very many things), but I think he's cute. 

Anyway, The Str*okes were on S*NL and as I was watching, the most horrific realization washed over me.

My little lamby looks very much like Ray Romano (Everybody Loves Raymond), who is not my idea of sexxx-say. Granted, he's a much younger Ray, but Ray is in there somewhere, just the same.

Look!
Do you see it?  You gotta see it!  Look again.  Subtract 20 (okay, 25) yrs from Ray and add a wig...
See?  Studly

And...  Dudly

You do see it, right?  Tell me it's not just me.  I don't know how I went so long without noticing this before.  But alas, Julian is ruined for me now.  I'm sorry, Julian.  That's it.  Infatuation over.  Accept it, honey, and try to move on.  I will never look at you and see a bad boy rockstar again. 

Way to wreck it, Ray Romano. Thanks. 

At least I still have Colin Farrell.  He doesn't resemble some middle-aged whiny dufus, does he?  Nevermind.  I don't really want to know. 

Maybe Julian's resemblance to Ray is most obvious when seeing him in motion- something about his facial expressions as he sings... This is a clip from their S*NL performance, if you're curious. But, I'll warn you: If you listen to this, I'm pretty sure he slips a word in there, around the 3:59 mark, he shouldn't have been saying on network tv (not even on S*NL). I could be wrong, but I have Mom Ears that are super-sensitive to the EFF word, so I'm probably not. Even a hearing-impairment doesn't hinder the power of Mom Ears when it comes to picking a random EFF out of what is otherwise mostly garbled nonsense. Just skip the last 20 seconds or so if you don't go for the nastiness. I have a feeling you'll be turning it off long before then, anyway.

Just watch for a few seconds (on mute, if you want), then try to tell me this isn't a young, weed-smoking, possibly heroin-addicted Ray Romano:

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bwaahaa! Yes, I see it. It's more obvious on the video, I think. He is Ray Ramano's lost son or something. Sorry you had to lose your Cougar Crush that way. (Hey, there's always the werewolf, though.)

Anonymous said...

1. Yes, definitely Ray Romano's long lost offspring.
2. I love Everybody Loves Raymond. In a Seen Every Episode And Can Quote Many Verbatim kind of way. But I don't like Ray *that way* ;-)
3. I've never heard of this band, but I like them. Definite 80's vibe. Sort of Stray Cats meets The Cure or something.

Anonymous said...

You were right! I was wondering who the Stro*kes were. And? Yes, in the video he very much reminds me of Ray Ramano. His sound kind of reminds me of the Violent Femmes (yes! I DO know who they are). And werewolf abs?? MMmmmmm.

M. said...

metaphase,
When one cougar crush dies, another one is born... I'll make it. Don't cry for me, Argentina.

mrsbroccoliguy,
Re: #'s 2 and 3: Exactly.

lookingforgeorge,
The Violent Femmes? Really?

Anonymous said...

I didn't see it in the photos, but I see it in the video. Sorry, there is some Ray Romano in there.

I have a weird crush in the actor Ed Norton - Death to Smoochy, Primal Fear - but I'm pretty sure he's my age. I have an older man crush in Jon Stewart.

M. said...

Oooh, yeah. Ed Norton. Me, too. I think he's, like, four feet tall, though? He looks tiny, but there's someting cute about him. I don't think Jon Stewart is any cuter than Ray Romano, though. Sorry.

Anonymous said...

well yes I did say Who? and yes I see the resemblance! You really crack me up and I just want to say that you may be crazy, disturbed, and several other adjectives but I love you just the way you are! Your boy crush does kinda freak me out some...well okay a lot! Let's have lunch soon and maybe a counseling session, you for your obvious trip over the edge and me for having read all about your dive off the deep end! Love you Chelle!

M. said...

Oh, Lanie... Put the couseling on hold (for the boy crush, anyway). That boy is in his 30's. He just looks young. I'm not a TOTAL perv.