Thursday, December 23, 2010

Merry Christmas!

Did you read Mrs. Broccoli Guy, yet?  I'm going to say "Ditto" to everything she said.  Good post, Mrs. B!

I'm doing my usual last-minute scramble to get ready for Christmas, so this will probably be my only chance to say "Merry Christmas" to you. 

I'm trying to get the cookies done today, then wrapping gifts this afternoon and tonight, then I'll start my traditional Christmas morning cinnamon rolls and sticky buns tomorrow, while finishing the wrapping...  Then the 25th will arrive and I will finally get my chance to have my annual breakdown (what I like to think of as my Most Festive Collapse of the Year), when I will cover myself with cookie frosting and sprinkles and tell everyone to eat m... No, wait.  That's not nice.  I will most likely finish Christmas morning with a full-on crying jag all alone in the bathtub, after the gifts have been opened and the rolls have been eaten.  It's been a whole month in the making, so it will be Outstanding.  With the big, loud sobs and the sniffling.  And that funny, overly-dramatic breathing thing that little kids do when they cry...  The whole bit.  I'm really planning a big, beautiful production this year.  I've put a lot of effort into this particular breakdown, so I'm hoping for a good one.  Once I get the tears to dry, I'll probably watch "It's a Wonderful Life" with the kids.  Something seems a little funny about that, but I don't have time to find a joke in there anywhere. 

And then, before I know it, the 1st of January will be here, when I will resolve to do a better job next year of making Christmas a joyous, Spirit-filled, relaxing, wonderful time for myself and my family, where we truly remember the reason for the season.  Just as I did last year. 

Actually, the 1st will bring a whole new round of stress, since we're having a huge family dinner for those who can't be here with us on Christmas Day- complete with more gifts and cookies and probably the tears in the bathtub, afterwards.  So, maybe I'll make my resolutions after my secondary breakdown.

However, my wish for you is to do as I say and not as I do- I wish you a stress-free and joyful time with family and friends!  I hope you all have a very merry and blessed Christmas.  God bless you and your families! 

Come back after the holidays- I'll try to get some pictures of the kiddos put up for you!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aw thanks! And it is just weirdly comforting to know I'm not the only mother who often feels on the verge of a breakdown, most especially at the most "joyful" times. I do hope you are pleasantly surprised and don't need that cry after all, but if you find yourself sobbing, don't feel bad, crying is an awesome release. :} (This is what I tell myself, when I have my "good cry" in the shower from time to time...)

You are blessed with a beautiful loving family and it IS a wonderful life!! :)

Merry Christmas!

Anonymous said...

You know how they say that suicide rates skyrocket at the holidays? I think it's all us stressed out moms who try to make everything perfect for our families and then . . . what? It's over. Whatever. Either that or it's all the men married to us stressed out moms who just don't know what to do about the crying in the bathroom at Christmas. AGAIN. :)